Don’t let the $$$ designations throw you off: virtually every restaurant on this list is a great value, but some are a little pricier than others. You won’t better food for the money than at Exotica. About $30 per person with wine.
- Mono Congo: excellent food along the river. $$
- Rum Bar: good pizza and drinks. $$
- Maracatu: inexpensive vegetarian food for lunch and dinner. $$
- Tortilla Flats: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Surfer hangout, but the food is excellent and cheap. Try their Mahi either way, or Casado, which is kind of the Costa Rican National meal. $
- Confusione: Viviana runs a nice tapas restaurant and 20 room hotel (Domilocos). Off the beaten track, but excellent food and she is a great friend. Note: not always open, especially in the Green Season. $$
- Villas Rio Mar: up the Rio Baru about 1km, part of the resort at which we stayed originally. The rooms, meals, and service are very nice, and we enjoy going there for an afternoon swim in their pool with a swim-up bar. Full bar and good menu. $$$
- Roca Verde: great bar and food. They have a disco on Saturday night (which you will hear if you stay at Caballitos del Mar). Mike is the owner, and it’s both good food and reasonably priced. Their Ahi Specials is about the best food in the area. Check ahead of time to see if they have it. $$
- Por Que No?: immediately south of the villas about 150 yards. Very steep driveway; be careful! Excellent food including pizzas. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Best view on the coast.
- La Parcela: fantastic location, especially at sunset or for lunch. South of our home by about 1.5 km, just south of Dominicalito. Seafood and other entrees. Somewhat hit and miss. $$$
Exotica Our Favorite Place
- Exotica: Run by Lucy and Bernard, transplanted French-Canadians. Excellent food, full bar, reasonable prices. Although it’s exactly 30 minutes south of the villas, it’s absolutely worth the drive. Drive south, past Uvita, and look for Playa Ventanas (small beach sign on right.) Continue to Ojochal, turn left off the highway. Continue straight across a small concrete bridge. Turn left after the bridge and drive about 1km on a dirt road. Continue until you see the restaurant sign. Reservations recommended. You will not be disappointed. +(506) 2786-5050 $$$